There is a picture carousel at the bottom with the picture representations and steps but for more text based learners here are the steps!
Tutus are a must for many races including tinkerbell half weekend and princess half marathon. You are more than welcome to buy one, but it is a very cheap and easy way to make a costume.
For my tutu for my Snow White costume my mom decided bigger was better as my tinkerbell one is "too small" so I decided when in Texas, do as texans do. Bigger is better!
I did this over Christmas break and it was very easy to do. I did it in 2 steps while watching 2 movies (Uncle Buck and lethal weapon!!!)
STEPS FOR YOUR TUTU
- Decide how big you want it. I wanted it big so I figured I would need 3 things of tulle.
- Go to a craft store and get tulle. Usually at least every 1-3 months, tulle is 50% off so make sure to stock up and/or plan ahead.
- Decide how you want to attach it to your body. I have used elastic or ribbon and they are both fine. Decide what works for you. I used elastic on this one.
- When you get home, measure around your waist, and cut the elastic to that length. I always like it tighter so it doesn't stretch but you can do it however you want. Don't attach it yet as it will be hard to get the tulle on there.
- Now time to decide how long you want your tutu. This one is pretty big so I taped 2 dvd cases together and measured the tulle around the cases.
- Run the tulle over your measurements until it is all out. Cut them to the right length.
- Now time to put them on the elastic!!! I use the loop technique as it is easiest to me.
- loop the tulle over your finger, put it underneath the elastic/ribbon, tighten it and loop it through.
- do this over and over and over until you are all done.
- You will need to stop and cut more tulle. I prefer to do it as I go along as to not waste tulle but you can do it all at once. I used 3 things of tulle to make it a very full skirt
- as you are looping, watch a movie :)
- when you are done, it is time to push all of the tulle together and sew it off!
- put it around your waist and sew it together
- ALL DONE! YAY TUTU