Goals for the Race
As you know by now, i had a great race st the Culver City 10k. I always like to set goals and then review them so let's get to it!
A (my dream!): under 1:05 -rocked this one harder than I ever imagined!
I stuck with my plan and are pretty clean with fruit, veggies, milk and yogurt, eggs, cheese and of course tea and water. I definitely should have had more water because the heat of the day snuck up on me!
2. Carb load
as I talked about here, I stuck with this pretty well! Had my favorite breakfast and lots of fruits. And had my pre race breakfast.
3. Slow runs
Work was killer so I only got in 2 2.2 mile runs but I made sure to take them slow. Even though I felt like I was going slow, I actually averaged 10:49 pace. Glad to know that's my slower pace now.
Stuck with the plan on taking a shot blok or 2 and then a clif shot at the half way point and it worked well!
5. Stretch and foam roll all week
Definitely rolled and stretched every day but the stresses of work made it almost impossible to do this as much as I had hoped. I spent about 20-30 min rolling and stretching the day before the race.
6. Chi stretching before running
Definitely added this back in and it definitely helped!
7. Sleep well
I didn't do as well as I would have liked. I was really looking for 8 hours and averaged around 7 but since work was crazy, I'm happy I got that much in. I've been trying to make it up all week.
8. No alcohol
I had 2 beers on Saturday and they were refreshing. I was so paranoid about being dehydrated, I drank a ton of water which helped a lot I think. I'm thinkig there is something to this a drink or 2 the day before the race!
Overall, I would give myself a B for satisfying my goals. I definitely think it all helped me to have a great PR.
- Get on track with Dumbo training (I'm officially joining the training plan this week) and try to increase my running speed and strength.
- I have a 5k in Sept which I would love to finish in sub-30 but it'll depend on the course. I may also try and run it straight (or just a few walk breaks).
- I also want to run a 2:17 at rock n roll LA. It's out there in the universe! It's my taper for wine and dine and avengers as well as the middle of dopey training so I should feel strong.
Do you set goals before your races?