I first found Jeff when he became the rundisney training consultant. I was unfamiliar with his strategy and not so sure but I tried the run/walk strategy and have been hooked ever since. Without it, I know I could not run like I do and it keeps me from having a long recovery (as evidenced by doing Dopey and Rebel for 67.9 miles in 11 days). I currently run a 2:40 min run and :30 sec walk.
I met him at both Dopey and Rebel and he does give the best advice. He reminded us at Dopey to take it slow to be able to feel good and we definitely did that. I could not believe how strong I felt doing the Star Wars 10k and even had a Disney PR!
Well let's get to the tips.
Training and Motivation Tips
by Olympian Jeff Galloway
1. When paced correctly, running delivers the best attitude boost you can get. Sustain this by pacing yourself gently during the first mile or three.
2. A well-paced run enhances vitality for the rest of the day. Start each run at least 30 seconds a mile slower than you will run at the end. (my favorite-this way you are sure to negative split and don't burn out too fast!)
3. If you have a Run Walk Run strategy that is right for you on that day, it's possible to feel good after every run- even a marathon. (I am a testament of this as I had a great time after Dopey)
4. Running is the best stress-reliever I've found. Research shows that running tends to activate the conscious brain which overrides the emotional subconscious brain and manages negative and anxiety hormones during and after the run.
5. Research shows that as runners get faster, their stride shortens. A quicker cadence is the mechanical key to faster running.
6. The finishing of a run that is longer than you've run in the last three weeks can bestow a sense of achievement that is unique and empowering.
7. **You can't run a long run too slowly or take too many walk breaks. You'll get the same endurance based on thedistance covered. (so important to remember when getting out there for your long run)
Did you like Jeff's tips? Sign up for his free newsletter at www.JeffGalloway.com.
Save up to $200
Looking to run a half marathon or marathon that goes beyond the ordinary? RUN ITALY Tours offers more than others do and travel with "Coach Jeff".
March 22, 2015 - Rome Marathon 26.2, 13.1 and 5K distances
Book and save up to $200 at www.RunITALY.com
Offer Expires: 2/14/15
Is anyone else a Jeff Galloway fan? Anyone else run with run walk run techniques? What is the interval that you use?