I think my Marathon journey may be cursed. This Sunday I will run my 6th marathon and I've yet to have optimal weather:
- 2014 LA marathon where it was very humid and they ran out of gatorade basically immediately
- 2015 WDW Marathon as part of Dopey. Not the place to try for a PR and it randomly started raining!
- 2015 LA Marathon was HOT HOT HOT (91 degrees at the finish) and I had horrible cramps the last 6 miles and had to walk it out
- 2015 Long Beach Marathon was another hot marathon that I did decently well in. I also got in a car accident on the way and eventually had to buy a new car.
- 2015 New York City Marathon was a great race and my current PR. It however was unseasonably warm (57 degrees when it was in the 40s the day before) and also very humid.
And now they are predicting 90 degrees! Eek! I am going to try and go on feel but I still have some goals in place.
Side note-the Olympic trials should be interesting as they start at 10 and it will be warm. It's really anyone's game at this point. I have done one very hot and humid race so I know I can finish but it will be tough.
A- sub 5 (11:27 pace)
This has been the goal for 2 years now so I'm hoping to finally get it but it'll depend on weather and humidity.
B- sub 5:12:41-new PR (11:56 pace)
I was keeping a good pace in NYC before the toughness of the course set in. I am hoping to be able to get a new PR at the only marathon I'm doing this year.
C- sub 5:46:12 (13:13)-course PR
This course has given me nothing but hell so I'm prepared to just stay solid and keep moving. As long as the humidity can stay away and I can stay hydrated, I know I can do this
D-Finish without having to give up
The last year LAM still gives me nightmares. I don't want to have my body give up because of the heat and walk the last 6 miles again. I am going to be carrying salt and mustard just incase I get cramps.
My plan is to start with intervals at 60/30 and switch to 45/30 or even 30/30 if t gets tough out there.
I plan on having friends give me a banana and water at some point after mile 8 (but let's be real-I carried a banana for over 20 miles in NYC and it was okay).
Supplies I will carry with me: salt, mustard, biofreeze packets, extra headphones, phone, and apply sunscreen at Med tents
I am in the middle of Carb loading and here are the foods I will be eating a lot of over the next 2 days:
1. Bananas and other fruits
Need to get in easy carbs and they are easy to carry. I am also eating oranges, berries and other fruits.
I am a newer convert to eating rice all of the time and I love it
I love baked potatoes and they are easy to cook and eat
I don't even pasta very often so it is always a good time when I get to eat pasta. We are eating a pasta dinner the night before.
5. Water/Nuun/Orange juice
I need to stay as hydrated as possible! I am carrying a bottle of water with me everywhere and a package of nuun
How about you? What do you like to carb load with?