My last 15 miler in December was a horrible experience so I focused on carbloading this time. I did had a horrible run-right under 3:00 hours which will not do well for my time goals. I was thirsty, did not fuel until mile 9 (which is where I hit my wall, just as I did in my last 10 miler when I did not fuel correctly), and I had horrible cramps. Not to mention, my legs were very tired.
- Side bar but my homework session ROCKED! I am so much more relaxed and at ease with how much I got done. Outlining papers is AWESOME!
- We did a huge carbload breakfast at Souplanation-I may have over done it but it was really my only meal of the day.
- I only had carb based snacks-fruit and granola
- I had English Breakfast tea, a bit of powerade, hot cereal and felt good
- I liked running the dark, it was my most peaceful run I have had in a long time.
- There were ton of people out running so I never felt unsafe. I still ran with one headphone out to make sure I could hear everyone
- I did not drink enough water during the day. I only had 2-3 glasses but it was really warm. I need to fix this by taking in tons of water the day before the race.
- I did not fuel well, at all! Mile 9 was not enough. Also, I tried the chocolate cherry Shot bloks. I thought they would be cherry flavor with a slight chocolate taste. They actually tasted like pure chocolate and a cherry cough drop. It was so horrible and I almost threw up-no joke.
- I was dehydrated during run-when I finished, my pee was bright yellow (TMI but true). I should have had much more water than I did since it was so humid (around 75%). I am convinced that is what caused my cramps
- I did not eat a banana, as soon as I started eating one on water breaks, my cramps went away but came back.
- Music really does make me go faster
- I need a headlight for running in the dark
- I need to drink a ton of water the day of
- I have my carbloading dinner-leftover pasta from lunch, hot cereal and a banana, and then a small snack before we start
- I need to eat bananas like crazy
- I need to stick to my fuel plan no matter how I feel-alternate 3 miles between shot bloks and Clif Shots
- I need to make sure to roll and stretch before the race
Even though I had a bad run, I am positive. I learned A TON and I feel secure in my training. I had a great training run on Thursday and I know a sub-2:15 half marathon is in me. I will write more about my LA Rock n Roll Half goals next week but I staying positive. I learned SO MUCH and I will keep learning things. Maybe 15 miles is just not my distance. I also look at it as just a bit over a half marathon and for some reason, that starts to doom me.
Next long run? I am pretty busy the next few weeks (LA rock n roll, taper week, wine and dine, avengers, recovery week, first Dopey simulation (3 miles, 4-5 miles, 10 miles and 20-23 miles)) so I won’t have a long run until Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving). I plan on doing that run at the Beach since they have water and bathrooms plentiful and I will bring along my powerade, fuel and maybe a banana too with me!
How did your last long run go?