April from Run the Great Wide Somewhere, Erika from MCM Mama Runs, and Patty from No-Guilt Life.
This week's topic is Running Pet Peeves/Etiquette.
I consider myself to be a really easy person to get along however there are few things that do annoy me when it comes to running. A few are below:
- Walking too many across-this is super common in races but it can happen while training as well. People walking across and spreading across the whole course so that others have a hard time getting around. It is not only rude to take up the whole walkway, it hinders everyone else. The worst is when there are people walking 2-3 across (like you're supposed to) but then they do it in line with 2-3 other groups which is even worse.
- Not paying attention surroundings-this goes along with the one above. If you're paying attention, then you will know if you are taking up the whole walkway and you will see who else is around you
- Random Cheering-this is a bit of a weird one but I hate when people start cheering other runners for no reason. This happened at Princess to me and it was super weird-I was heading to the Boardwalk and this lady was cheering for all of us-umm..we are all in the same Corral! I understand if someone is struggling (which you can tell) but to me it comes off as a bit condescending to cheer for anyone that is behind you.
- Commenting when you pass someone-I have not seen this happen much but have heard about it. Everyone is running their own race and you never know their situation so to comment as you pass someone is just rude. Even if it is a joke-it comes off as rude and unnecessary.
- Corral Jumping-I hate when people move up to corrals they don't belong in. It is dishonest but also dangerous as you are slotted in the corral you are for a reason.
- Walking but not Signaling or Moving Over- As an interval runner, it is important to take walk breaks. I usually stay off to the very side at the beginning so I can take my walk breaks and always signal before stopping. Even better, if I can find a power walker, I will get close to them so that people walking are close together.
What are some of your pet peeves?