Erika from MCM Mama Runs, Marcia from Marcia's Healthy Slice and Patty from No-Guilt Life.This week's topic is What I would tell myself if I was just starting to run.
I have written about this before briefly about what I would like new runners to know before running.
- 1. What is your goal?
- Do you want to do a 5k? 10k? Half? Full? Start here and work it all out
- 2. Training Plan
- How will you reach this goal?
- 3. Gear
- What shoes will you wear? How about clothes? What about compression socks? Rollers? And let's not forget timers and/or watches?
- 4. Form
- From the beginning, you have to emphasize proper running form to prevent injuries.
- 5. Nutrition
- Carbohydrates (in all forms) will be crucial for this along with protein, fats, and of course water. Let's not forget lessening processed foods.
- 6. Sleep
- How much sleep does your body need? How much are you getting? How is it effecting your runs?
- 7. Time to Run
- What time works for you-morning, afternoon, night? Don't forget about time of year and temperature?
- 8. Fuel
- How are you fueling pre-race and mid race so you don't bonk/hit a wall? How do you fuel after?
- 9. Race Day
- What does it take to have a successful race day?
- 10. The future
- Where do you want to go with this? Set a goal? Set a PR? Try something else? How does this fit in for you?
What would I tell myself almost exactly 6 years since I signed up for my first race ever on the day I fly to WDW to run my 40th-42nd Disney race and earn my 55th-60th medals?
YOU CAN DO IT.
BELIEVE IN YOURSELF
PUSH YOUR LIMITS
RUNNING WILL BECOME A PASSION
You may not have been the athletic growing up but you can do it. You can train and do hard things. You will do Dopey Rebel, you can run and PR at a World Major. It'll take time but you will do it all. Just remember to stay positive and get those workouts and it will be okay.
Looking back on my journey, it really is crazy how far I've come and not to mention, all of the races I've been lucky to run and all of the friends I've made song the way. I'm so pumped for this weekend (it's rare I get to do a brand new race) and can't wait to see everyone!
What would you tell yourself?