April from Run the Great Wide Somewhere, Erika from MCM Mama Runs, and Patty from No-Guilt Life. This week's topic is Race Ritual.
As I just wrapped up my 3rd marathon at the LA Marathon, I have my race rituals down! Even though the race didn't go according to plan, I don't think I could have done anything different in preparing. So what do I do?
- full carbload day!
- I usually have a sugar added Starbucks drink, yams, orange juice, tons of water and powerade
- pasta for dinner with a glass of wine <---this is my RACE RITUAL! It calms me down and also makes me paranoid I am going to get dehydrated
- double check my music
- double check my bag is packed (fuel, spray, chafing, etc)
- lay out my outfit
- review my plan for the morning and the race
- early bedtime! try to get into bed 8 hours before I need to be to run
- glass of water
- 8 oz glass of orange juice
- hot cereal with chia and maple syrup
- banana and peanut butter
- hot tea
- joint stretches
- a glass of water
- repeating my mantras (I can DO Hard Things, this is the day I go...(insert goal here), etc).
- say a quick prayer
- get ready to run!
I don't have any good luck charms during races. I think my good luck charm is my planning. The more I plan, the more relaxed I feel.
What are your race day rituals?