April from Run the Great Wide Somewhere, Erika from MCM Mama Runs, and Patty from No-Guilt Life. This week's topic is Running in the Dark.
Rarely do I run in the dark just because most races I do are in the morning (minus my beloved Wine and Dine). I have run at night exactly 2 times-once for a training run for wine and dine and actual wine and dine.
I did a 15 mile run in the dark at the Rose Bowl. It is very well lit but there were a few dark parts so I just took out of my cell phone. Next time, I would run with a headlight (I bought one!). Here are some of the safety tips I follow:
· Run with others-my boyfriend did part of a run with me and when he was done, there were lot of people out so I felt safe
· Run with your phone-I don’t always do this as I am close to home and close ot people but it is important while running in the dark
· Have one headphone out-I personally don’t like doing this but safety always comes first. It makes it a bit hard to concentrate for me but it helps with hearing things around you. Or run with no music at all!
· Take the day easy-I ended up doing schoolwork all day which is physically easy but mentally exhausting so I don’t recommend it! Make sure to rest and relax before your run
· Fuel-make sure you eat correctly all day to help fuel your run. You don’t want to hit a wall!
· When done, shower, roll and get ready for bed-I went to bed within 2-3 hours of finishing my run. I had to make sure I did my typical recovery so I wouldn’t wake up sore the next day.
What are your tips for running in the dark?