Erika from MCM Mama Runs, Marcia from Marcia's Healthy Slice and Patty from No-Guilt Life.This week's topic is Preparing for a Night Race.
As someone gearing up for Wine and Dine in just two short weeks, as well as running a New Years race at night, this is something I've been thinking a lot about. I really like night races as the atmosphere is fun but I do most of my runs in the morning to get them out of the way. It can be nerve wrecking to wait all day to run.
The main three things to worry about are:
- Getting enough rest
- Fueling properly
- Dressing appropriately
You can read my full wine and dine recap here. I was super injured and was worried I wouldn't be able to run at all and in the rain and it made for an interesting race for sure.
Here is my plan currently for Wine and Dine:
- I plan on going to bed around 9 or so I can be ready for my 445am wake up call! I need to be on the bus by 5:30 to get to the race on time.
- After the 5k, I will head back to the hotel, grab a quick breakfast, shower and off we go to Hollywood studios! We will do some rides and lunch at Mama Melrose before heading back to the room to relax. We may take a dip in the pool as well!
- The plan is to nap and get up around 630/7 to get ready and eat and plan to get on the bus by 7:45. The race starts at 10 so we will have plenty of time to chat and wait in line before hopping into the corrals.
- We will finish the race, change, get a locker, and stay at the after party until 4am! And of course sleep in the next morning but have to get up because we have be our guest lunch at 2 and the Christmas party that evening!
Here is my plan currently for the New Years race:
- I got a hotel downtown as it is right across the street from my boyfriends work and also like a 10 min drive to work for me. It is a few blocks from the start of the race. I originally just wanted to take the train but the races moved to 10k to 6 and Half at 8. 10:30 is too late to be taking the train and I will be grateful to walk back to the hotel and pass out.
- I plan on sleeping in and heading to the expo around 12/1 and grabbing a light lunch. I am hoping to get checked in to our room at 3 and relax until about 4:30/5 when I need to eat again and head down to the start of the race. I plan on packing food for inveterate the 10k and half.
How about you-have you ever run a night race? Do you have any tips?