Fuel is very important to running as we all know. Carbloading has just passed and will continue next week (next week I will talk about my latest Carbloading research I have been reading as well as how I fueled for 3 days of back to back runs coming at the end of the week).
However I have found a new fuel source while running : BABY FOOD!
Yes, that is strange but it really does work! But first let me explain: it's the toddler smoothie packs.
- I have been getting free coupons and finding it on clearance so they are cheap (40-60 cents each pack)
- They are also mostly all organic so it's real food
- it is easy to take before a race as they travel well and don't have to be refrigerated
- It tastes just like a smoothie
- Easy to use and digest
- You don't need to take it with water (like you do with other fuels)
- Each small pack has 11-14 g of sugar (which is equal to what is in 1 shot blok)
- It's baby food so I look strange buying them
- You can't carry it on long runs as it is heavy (yes, I tried this one. It weighs at least 2 clif shots)
I have been taking it right before I start as initial fuel on long runs and then start doing clif shots around mile 3-4.
2 weeks ago, I took 1 large smoothie one and it was able to fuel a 5.5 mile run perfectly (minus the heat-that was my downfall)
Other fuel I like?
- I'm a Clif girl through and through. I started with it and have loved it.
- I know many people like Gu by they always make my stomach hurt-I only take it during RnR runs
- I tried Honey Stinger gel and they gave me stomach issues the first time but ever since then they have been great!
- I tried the Powerade Gel Shots and the texture was horrible but the fueling worked well
What do you use to fuel? Have you ever tried to fuel with baby food before?